Last Online
    Today @ 05:34 PM
    Assoc.'s
    ASA
    Started In
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Social media and its impact

I know that many of us frequent Facebook, and those of us who do probably witnessed the closing of the Softball Umpires group. Apparently, we're seeing more and more pressure being placed on umpires to either be mindful of social media posts, or to just not have a social media presence at all.

What have you been seeing in your areas? Do your associations have any written social media policies or contracts? What are your thoughts?
    Dave

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

95% of all calls are covered by 5% of the rules. It's the remaining 5% that gets us into trouble, and it's by that 5% that we are measured as umpires.

Happiness is having good catchers.

Rookie Poster
    Last Online
    08-08-2017 @ 08:58 PM
    Assoc.'s
    ASA, NFHS.
    Started In
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I have no social media presence. I'll assume e-mail doesn't count, nor do forums like these.

Our local group probably averages 60 years old, and many of those guys don't do (as Bill Belichick may describe them) snapbook or faceplant.

If viewing what professional athletes post on twitter or face-book as an example of what NOT to do, closing some of the groups shouldn't be a surprise. And while they're at it, can someone please lock Trump's twitter access?
    Ted
    ASA & NFHS

Senior Veteran Poster
    Last Online
    02-19-2018 @ 02:53 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tru_in_blu View Post
    Personally, I have no social media presence. I'll assume e-mail doesn't count, nor do forums like these.
    Actually, I used to get phone calls from the Dep Supervisor of Umpires (ASA) a couple times a season about something I may have posted. Always a personal opinion. There are folks who may not post, but troll these sites just looking for something they can use to take someone down a peg or two. I assume it is to make themselves feel better and become more endeared snitch to the hierarchy.

Veteran Poster
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Assoc.'s
    ASA, NFHS, NCAA
    Started In
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was at a college level clinic recently and it was emphasized to be very careful with social media. The underlying theme was not to be on social media at all.

The example was presented about being on vacation and posting a picture of yourself with a drink...perception being that you are a drunk...then when you walk on the field, that perception can follow you.
    I understand that to a point. I am on FB and twitter, but mainly to keep up with my softball friends from around the country and to make sure I get the latest pictures of my new granddaughter!

Senior Veteran Poster
    Last Online
    02-19-2018 @ 02:53 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I was at a college level clinic recently and it was emphasized to be very careful with social media. The underlying theme was not to be on social media at all.

The example was presented about being on vacation and posting a picture of yourself with a drink...perception being that you are a drunk...then when you walk on the field, that perception can follow you.
    I understand that to a point. I am on FB and twitter, but mainly to keep up with my softball friends from around the country and to make sure I get the latest pictures of my new granddaughter!
    How can you understand such stupidity? That's not perception, but some idiots looking for an excuse to place themselves above others through degradation. Unfortunately, this is just the same bunch of folks who cower from any responsible decision making effort simply because defaulting to the ignorant is easier.

Veteran Poster
    Last Online
    02-20-2018 @ 02:40 AM
    Assoc.'s
    USSSA
    Started In
    Post Thanks / Like
    MN USSSA policy has been feel free to post but save the second guessing for the umpire specific closed group, and don't disparage the players, organizers and umpires. I know of one umpire who ran afoul of this policy who lost some tournament games because of it.

Last Online
    Today @ 05:34 PM
    Assoc.'s
    ASA
    Started In
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Maybe we should require driving records to see if someone has a speed ticket. They must be reckless. Maybe we should require DNA tests to see if someone has certain genes related to certain mental illnesses. They must be crazy.

A picture of someone holding a drink means absolutely nothing to me, but in this hypocritical, puritanical society, we love to shame someone for engaging in the very behavior in which we engage ourselves. As long as they are 100% stone sober on the field and perform their duties with the utmost integrity, what a person does off-the-clock means absolutely nothing to me.
    Dave

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

95% of all calls are covered by 5% of the rules. It's the remaining 5% that gets us into trouble, and it's by that 5% that we are measured as umpires.

Happiness is having good catchers.

Rookie Poster
    Last Online
    02-10-2018 @ 04:10 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tru_in_blu View Post

Our local group probably averages 60 years old, and many of those guys don't do (as Bill Belichick may describe them) snapbook or faceplant.
    ?
    60 is might be a little generous! After the first day of the BHMT I went home and my girlfriend asked how my partners were, my first response was "old"

But yeah, not a lot of tech savvy folks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Veteran Poster
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:54 PM
    Assoc.'s
    NFHS, Travel - Delaware & Maryland, prev some JUCO,D3
    Started In
    Post Thanks / Like
    If your definition of "tech-savvy" is using social media, then I guess it is time to determine if lack of "tech-savvy" is related to age or having accumulated useful things to do.

Sorry, Andy . Ok, I send texts when needed.

Rookie Poster
    Last Online
    08-08-2017 @ 08:58 PM
    Assoc.'s
    ASA, NFHS.
    Started In
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by meblue View Post
    60 is might be a little generous! After the first day of the BHMT I went home and my girlfriend asked how my partners were, my first response was "old"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Well, to be fair, we only have 15 or so guys in our immediate area and that average is about 60. A lot of guys come from other districts and states, including Massachusetts since we're very close. So we get our share of "unknown quantities" at times including umpires who wear red t-shirts under powder blue, abhorrent mechanics on both plate and bases, and a guy from Maine who showed up with non-plate pants with a broken zipper that wouldn't close (over two different tournaments!).

When the UIC is trying to fill slots, sometimes he can't be too picky.
    Ted
    ASA & NFHS