Rookie Poster
    Last Online
    02-07-2018 @ 06:26 AM
    Assoc.'s
    NFHS, USSSA, PGF
    Started In
    1984 - basketball
    Post Thanks / Like
    We don't have any policies, but if you are going to not have any common sense, well, you are going to be called on it.

The drink example feels extreme, but if there is a photo of you passed out drunk with sharpie drawn on your face from the day before you call a game, well yeah.

Same for posting opinions/reviews on specific games, coaches, players, other umpires, etc, etc... That is just asking for it.

That said - my daughter is being recruited and has been told multiple times - don't be in a photo with red solo cups showing. Not holding one - just in the photo.

Senior Veteran Poster
    Last Online
    02-19-2018 @ 02:53 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by marriard View Post
    That said - my daughter is being recruited and has been told multiple times - don't be in a photo with red solo cups showing. Not holding one - just in the photo.
    Which is just down right stupid. The policy, not the photo.

Last Online
    Today @ 05:34 PM
    Assoc.'s
    ASA
    Started In
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've always felt that we're a bit "puritanical" when it comes to alcohol. It's legal, and is not an issue when consumed in moderation. Why do we Americans make such a big fuss about it? Other cultures couldn't care less if someone has a beer or glass of wine with dinner, but over here, it's "OH MY GOD, WHAT A HEATHEN!"

Give me a break.
    Dave

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

95% of all calls are covered by 5% of the rules. It's the remaining 5% that gets us into trouble, and it's by that 5% that we are measured as umpires.

Happiness is having good catchers.

Rookie Poster
    Last Online
    02-07-2018 @ 06:26 AM
    Assoc.'s
    NFHS, USSSA, PGF
    Started In
    1984 - basketball
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishmafia View Post
    Which is just down right stupid. The policy, not the photo.
    Perhaps. but then recruiting is in the end a negative activity - they have options, they have to chose between multiple players all very similar skill wise so it can be the slightest small thing that can tip the scale to 'no'.
    Recruiting in general is stupid.

On the other hand, my daughters social media presence is a happy place to be. She is very careful how she uses it.

Related to the original topic - social media - if you use it, use it with a great deal of common sense. It is forever and when people go looking, make sure there is nothing you are not comfortable with them finding.

Senior Veteran Poster
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
    I've always felt that we're a bit "puritanical" when it comes to alcohol. It's legal, and is not an issue when consumed in moderation. Why do we Americans make such a big fuss about it? Other cultures couldn't care less if someone has a beer or glass of wine with dinner, but over here, it's "OH MY GOD, WHAT A HEATHEN!"

Give me a break.
    Point is, what does it have to do with alcohol? There are more things that can be in red solo cups and there are plenty of different color cups that can hold alcohol.

Like I said, stupid

Senior Veteran Poster
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by marriard View Post
    We don't have any policies, but if you are going to not have any common sense, well, you are going to be called on it.

The drink example feels extreme, but if there is a photo of you passed out drunk with sharpie drawn on your face from the day before you call a game, well yeah.

Same for posting opinions/reviews on specific games, coaches, players, other umpires, etc, etc... That is just asking for it.

On a side note, there was an umpire (now passed) in the DC/MD area whose wife used to write on him with a marker while he was sleeping. Umpire was top-notch ASA umpire and a professional firefighter. Negative impression or not, I would rather be on the field with him than may other umpires I know.