Thread: ASA mechanics

Veteran Poster
    Last Online
    05-17-2017 @ 07:40 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

ASA mechanics

R1 attempts to steal 2nd on a passed ball to the backstop and continues on the to third base. Does the base umpire stay with the runner to make the call at 3rd if there is one or should the plate umpire come up to make the call ?

Veteran Poster
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:54 PM
    Assoc.'s
    NFHS, Travel - Delaware & Maryland, prev some JUCO,D3
    Started In
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by popfly View Post
    R1 attempts to steal 2nd on a passed ball to the backstop and continues on the to third base. Does the base umpire stay with the runner to make the call at 3rd if there is one or should the plate umpire come up to make the call ?
    By the book, last runner, so primarily BU.
    But either in pregame or in the play, the PU can call off the BU and cover it. and usually does for better angle.

Assuming 2 ump of course.

Veteran Poster
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, my thought was that the plate umpire should always clear the catcher and stay with the ball in case it goes out of play somehow and also if the plate umpire moves up the line to 3rd base, he would be running with his back to the ball and have no idea where the throw was coming from. The base umpire would have everything in front of him and he would really have to hustle to get to third so my thought was that it would always be his call unless unless something kept him from getting there but i cant find a place to prove that in the book

Veteran Poster
    Last Online
    Assoc.'s
    Started In
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by popfly View Post
    Well, my thought was that the plate umpire should always clear the catcher and stay with the ball in case it goes out of play somehow and also if the plate umpire moves up the line to 3rd base, he would be running with his back to the ball and have no idea where the throw was coming from. The base umpire would have everything in front of him and he would really have to hustle to get to third so my thought was that it would always be his call unless unless something kept him from getting there but i cant find a place to prove that in the book
    1. BR/trail runner/ last runner
    2. First throw from an infielder after fielding batter ball
    3. Steal of third
    4. Ball that is thrown home, cut off, and thrown to third
    Last edited by CecilOne; 05-17-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Veteran Poster
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with all that .Is that printed like that in the manual somewhere and im just overlooking it?

Veteran Poster
    Last Online
    Assoc.'s
    Started In
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is another version, copied not mine.

WHO'S GOT THIRD (of course, WHO HAS THIRD would be grammatically correct, and WHO COVERS THIRD correct for umpires)?
    The answer isn't "I don't know"!

In two-person mechanics, there are SIX instances that are the BASE UMPIRE'S CALL:

1) batter-runner on a triple,

2) the last runner into third base,

3) a lone runner on fly ball advancement,

4) any return throw from the plate area, or cut-off by a player,

5) a steal or pickoff, and

6) the FIRST THROW only BY AN INFIELDER

Elaboration:

#6 means that the PLATE UMPIRE has the call at third on the "first to third" play when the runner breaks from second. It also means that with runners on first and second and a hard one hopper to left field, the plate umpire may very well have a FORCE OUT CALL at third base because that is NOT a first throw from an INFIELDER

#4 means that even though the plate umpire has moved up to the holding zone at the beginning of the play, if the throw toward home PULLS him/her back toward the plate area, the BASE UMPIRE has to take the subsequent play at third base

Pregame these coverages with your partner!

Yes, some are redundant.