Veteran Poster
    Last Online
    02-20-2018 @ 02:40 AM
    Assoc.'s
    USSSA
    Started In
    Post Thanks / Like

Tips for Umping in hot weather

I'm in Orlando this week working E Worlds and am looking for any advice you guys might have for dealing with the heat. It's going to be 90+ and humid all week and I'll be doing 6-10 games a day. I've only worked one tournament where it was this hot and not with this level of humidity. I've got the cooling towel, frogg toggs and there will be lots of water and gatorade. Anything else?

Last Online
    Today @ 05:34 PM
    Assoc.'s
    ASA
    Started In
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's hot in Florida?

A few things. One, stay hydrated as best you can. Yes, that means Gatorade/Powerade AND water, but that also means stay away from alcohol as much as possible. Keep those electrolytes up. Try mixing in a little Pedialyte with your water, as that's the best stuff for hydration, hands down.

Two, stay cool out there. Keep cool towels nearby, and keep out of the sun as much as possible. Consider having a small cooler of "Florida water" (NOT FOR CONSUMPTION). Mix a 2 ounce bottle of ammonia spirits with about 4-5 quarts of ice water. Take a washcloth, dunk it in, rub on your scalp, arms, and neck. AVOID THE EYES, because that shit will sting. Be aware that yes, it will smell a bit like cat piss. Between games, try your best to cool your core temperature down by putting ice packs under your armpits, around your neck neck, and in your groin area.

Third, eat a lot of pickles and bananas. Pickles are an umpire's best friend. If a pickle sounds good to you about now, it's probably because your body knows it needs one. Have one.

Fourth, use those towels to dry yourself off. That moisture has to come off your skin in order to cool you down.

Fifth, recognize the signs of overheating. Read this. http://www.webmd.com/first-aid/under...lness-symptoms

Lastly, 6-10 games a day? Seriously? Are they insane? That's too much. PLEASE tell me you're not doing single-umpire games out there.
    Dave

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

95% of all calls are covered by 5% of the rules. It's the remaining 5% that gets us into trouble, and it's by that 5% that we are measured as umpires.

Happiness is having good catchers.

Veteran Poster
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Assoc.'s
    ASA, NFHS, NCAA
    Started In
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everything Dave said.....

Also, try to wear fresh undergarments and socks for each game.
    I was in Atlanta at the end of July last year for a week long FP tournament....it was brutal..At least three umpires went down at one point during the week.

Between games, get out of the heat into some kind of AC if possible. We had the opportunity to shower between games and that helped tremendously to get the dirt and sweat off and cool down.

Veteran Poster
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:54 PM
    Assoc.'s
    NFHS, Travel - Delaware & Maryland, prev some JUCO,D3
    Started In
    Post Thanks / Like
    As Dave said, don't overdo.
    I just did 5+3 JO last weekend in 90 deg and was ok from much hydrating and rest/cool time in between.

6 - 10 is too much, even in good weather.

Veteran Poster
    Last Online
    02-20-2018 @ 02:40 AM
    Assoc.'s
    USSSA
    Started In
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, remember I'm a slow pitch only guy.
    Finished up yesterday. Did 8 games Thursday in a 98 degree heat index. One off, four on, one off, four on. Lower legs cramped up twice but some pickle juice and icy hot took care of that between games. 6 games Friday, was scheduled for 8 but lost two due to rain and time. And two more Saturday. It was fun but exhausting. And damn I feel sorry for the baseball and fastpitch guys that calling tournaments here in the summer. Humidity has been brutal, with the only real cool time being while it was raining Friday.

Last Online
    Assoc.'s
    ASA
    Started In
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey, I've seen slow pitch umpires go down in the heat as well. I almost had that happen to me during a slow pitch tournament this summer - it had rained the night before, soaking the fields. The sun then baked the moisture all morning, making it like a sauna. I couldn't get the sweat off me fast enough, and I seriously started to overheat by my third game in a row.
    Dave

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

95% of all calls are covered by 5% of the rules. It's the remaining 5% that gets us into trouble, and it's by that 5% that we are measured as umpires.

Senior Veteran Poster
    Last Online
    02-19-2018 @ 02:53 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EAJuggalo View Post
    I'll be doing 6-10 games a day.
    This is ridiculous and abusive. Someone is operating on the cheap side. And at this level? Guess they just don't have the respect for the players and umpires at this level.

Shame on them.

Last Online
    Assoc.'s
    ASA
    Started In
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have to agree - 6 to 10 games a day is excessive, and does not give the teams the sharp officials that they deserve.

Someone's found a way to skimp on hotel, travel, and meal costs for officials.
    Dave

Veteran Poster
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:54 PM
    Assoc.'s
    NFHS, Travel - Delaware & Maryland, prev some JUCO,D3
    Started In
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EAJuggalo View Post
    And damn I feel sorry for the baseball and fastpitch guys that calling tournaments here in the summer.
    Because we wear long pants ????

Last Online
    Assoc.'s
    ASA
    Started In
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
    Because we wear long pants ????
    Real umpires wear pants. I haven't worn shorts out on the field since 2007.
    Dave